Sunday, October 12, 2008

Domestic Chores

I finally got around to mopping my apartment today...I'd been meaning to ever since I moved in, but just never got around to it. Surprisingly, mopping really doesn't take that long, nor is it nearly as backbreaking as sweeping (which is by far my least favorite chore). And if you're wondering, no, my mop has no automatic wringing-out type feature or anything even close to being that fancy. No, my mop consists of a wooden pole with a flat wooden piece on the end, and a floor cloth that I bought b/c I figured it would probably do a better job than the bit of old t-shirt that also serves more or less as my bath mat. And of course a plastic bucket. So yes...wringing out by hand, and you don't really want to think of what's in the water that you're sticking your hands into, but it's actually not that bad. And my apartment feels so much cleaner!

Also doing lots of laundry this weekend...doing one's laundry by hand isn't a problem if you do it every week, but last weekend was eaten up by the conference so I didn't so much get my laundry done...hence two days worth of loads (I have enough clothespins/clothesline space for about two loads at a time, depending what I'm washing). In the summer I suspect I could do a lot more loads in a day since things would dry faster, but now laundry takes the full day to dry.

Dusting is another highly necessary chore...not sure where all the dust comes from, but there's a lot!

Speaking of dust, I swept my porch yesterday...I swept like half an inch of dust off of it! I had no idea it was even there til I started sweeping!

So yeah...it's really not that hard to do chores without conveniences such as a washing machine or a vacuum...but appreciate your appliances if you've got 'em!

No comments: