Monday, October 20, 2008

Not all eggs are created equal!

For weeks now I have been mystified by the numerous varieties of eggs available for purchase at SAS--"Elite" eggs, "Corn" eggs, "Village" eggs, eggs from birds other than chickens, eggs which come in plastic packages as opposed to cardboard...and by the way, eggs come in 10s, not dozens. But you can get half dozens. Go figure.
But anyways, I had had the plastic package kind, the Elite kind, and the Corn kind, and they were all pretty much the same. This time I bought the village ones, because that was what they happened to have...I assumed, owing to the large picture of a chicken on the top that they were normal eggs.
Well, they are chicken eggs...but...they're weird.
Dirty for one thing, but that's not a big deal--I just rinsed them off. But then I cracked them into my frying pan. The yolks broke on contact, and were a curious shade of red-orange. Can't say that I've ever seen eggs that particular shade before. I'm a little weirded out. But they tasted normal, so I guess they must be all right. You just never know what you're going to get when you can't read packaging.

Nothing too earthshattering has been going on lately. This weekend I spent some time in the office helping with the Kenya preparations...Vardan leaves in the morning tomorrow, and everyone else goes on Friday.

Then yesterday was the most glorious fall day--I hadn't really noticed that it was becoming fall until all of a sudden yesterday, there it was! Leaves changing color, falling from the trees, completely lovely weather. I went and wandered around downtown Yerevan for a while, discovered an art show which had some pretty nice paintings at it--if I could afford art I would totally buy some! Some day....

Then I went to this park on Baghramyan which just opened--It's a super-landscaped garden style park--lots of artificial waterfalls, but it's really pretty, especially with the fall leaves and everything. It was also really crowded--lots of people with their kids since it was a Sunday afternoon. This couple asked me (in Armenian) to take their picture. I did, and even managed to recall the Armenian word for "You're welcome".

I'm getting better at my Armenian--I even managed some complete sentences today. (For instance, "I am not sick." Because I'm one of the very few people in the office who isn't...)

Well, I was going to post pictures from the conference weekend in here, but my internet connection is sadly not cooperating. So pictures will have to wait for another time. In the meantime, if you're on Facebook you can check out all my photos on there--I've uploaded all of them.

No comments: